Tuesday, December 5, 2006

ALCATRAZ

This is how island looks from one side.

View gets derelict on close inspection...ahem...

I suupose this would appear as - "View 2 freedom"

Only Bright spot in this Gloomy place !!

Lone Sailor !!



Ouch...I craned my neck too much :-(

View of Golden Gate amidst Fog.....!! Very slight

* People say that trip to SFO is not complete till you take a ferry to Alcatraz. I found the place cold ( brrrrr) and very depressing...no wonder...prisoners also didn't like it much...Dah! No wonder they finally closed the place and turned into a reserve park.
* What I really found very interesting was tourist ( yeah yeah.....I was also that....but...) they were either clicking or getting posed in all those cells...just imagine you walk near a prison and then you see only these hands fluttering from 2 small holes...and some screaming for the effect....ahe...creepy....! Thanks but " NO THANKS".....
* Menu was good - so that got your head turned right !! Yeah good meals....lol.... this made me retrace my steps to mainland to find food.

7 comments:

cindy said...

i used to live right across the bay for a time. we went to alcatraz in the middle of the summer one year and i tell you that place was still icy cold!

Bendtherulz said...

I was quoted these lines very often during my stay " the coldest winter I saw was Summer in SFO - By Mark Twain"
However if you look into the official archive its said that these words are by "Unknown"

Whatever - it was cold , I mean one day we travelled to Bodega Island...awesome weather, all sunshine and by 4 pm ...it was such major overcast and so cold.
Then on the sea shore when we ventured out to sea and mentioned that it is cold - my friends they laughed and they said this is the warmest it gets....needless to say it left my mouth open ...:-)

Cuckoo said...

Looks awesome !!
Which month you went there ? Prisons are always bad to see...lollll

Imagine we went a chateau in Switzerland. It was supposed to be a prison. All damp and so much depressing.

Cuckoo said...

And yes, am very busy these days. So sorry if I come late to your blog..I always try my best. :))

Cheers!!

Bendtherulz said...

Hey Cuckoo - It was this August.
So good to see u ( I want to write a lot...but will refrain - this is for your 2nd comment)

tlchang said...

Lovely photos here. The grapes! The hummingbird in the trumpet vine (your camera is much 'faster' than mine! I can never catch hummingbirds with the delay the digital camera has).

Very pretty stuff.

Soozcat said...

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and never--not once--did I go out to visit Alcatraz. I can tell you about all sorts of different places in the area, but not there. Go figure.